Saturday, January 15, 2011

Are You All In?

I don't have many rules in life, except for some very high level ones. One of the things that is unique about me is that you are either "all in or all out". What I mean by this is that I'm not going to commit to something and then do a shoddy job. Don't get me wrong, I've definitely made mistakes and learned from them, but if I commit to something, you know I'm giving you 110%. This likely means I commit to less in totality than some others you may know, but you know when I do commit, you are going to get a good result.

This applies to almost everything in my life, including "work life balance" (whatever the heck that means). Because I work a "9-5" job, I pretty much dedicate myself to work during the weekdays and then take the weekend for my own. Put another way, "I'm all in" during the workday and "I'm all in" on the weekend.

Luckily, rules are meant to be broken and that's what happened today. I just "finalized" a big research study yesterday at around 2pm, and then sat back and congratulated myself. As I should have known, it's never over until it's over, and I received some pertinent information last night/this morning that impacted the study. SO here I am, Saturday morning cranking through some emails and reviewing survey questions.

The funny part is, I don't even mind! I guess it's possible to enjoy your job so much that a couple hours on a Saturday really isn't a big deal. The other thing I'm starting to realize is that if I really want to get to where I need to be, some of these extra weekend hours to organize and do some deeper thinking are very valuable. Maybe it's time for an adjustment to the rules?

Nah, the rules are good. I think maybe I'll just follow Peter's lead here!



But this really begs the question... Are you all in or are you just doing enough to not get fired?

No comments:

Post a Comment