Friday, August 13, 2010

GMAT- The Other White Meat

Anyone who knows me well or has been following me on Twitter/Facebook knows I've been studying to take the GMAT test so I can get into business school.

What's surprising to me is the actual topics that I need to brush up on. Pre-GMAT studying, I was given the advice that some of the hardest questions are the dreaded "data sufficiency" questions. Funny enough, during my undergrad in economics we did these questions regularly!



What I really find myself working on is basic (I'm talking like Grade School here) math and grammar. Take this basic math problem for example:

If a and b are different prime numbers, which of the following must be odd?
A) ab
B) 4a + b
C) a + b + 3
D) ab - 3
E) 4a + 4b + 3

 There's a few key rules you need to know in order to get the correct answer:

-The definition of an odd number
-The definition of a prime number
-The rules for arithmetic on even and odd numbers

I just find it interesting, as I spent 4 years of my life doing differential calculus and deciphering mathematical logic to get a degree in economics, and then in order to go get my MBA, I need to brush up on what a prime number is.

Isn't the world grand?

PS: The answer to the above Question is E. Here's the explanation.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment