Monday, March 8, 2010

Life is kind of like meeting Johnny Reid in an airport....

except life will never serenade you!

I just couldn't resist weaving this picture into my post today:

My father sent me this pic of one of my previous managers at Rankin Construction and Johnny Reid at the Toronto airport, and somehow I really related to it. Let's set aside the fact that I had no idea who this guy was (Thanks Wikipedia!), but lets focus on how life is a lot like meeting an obscure celebrity in an airport:

-An airport is the embodiment of organized chaos.... you can barely find a spot at the bathroom stall but at the end of the day, after all of the pat downs, bad airport food, and sitting on the runway for 2 hours, you wind up with an interesting story and hopefully meet some cool people.

-Another thing that makes this metaphor on life relevant is that you never know when an opportunity might walk right past you, so you need to be hyper aware of your surroundings.... you might never know when Johnny Reid is going to walk by and give you a once in a lifetime moment.

-Consider that some people could care less if they met Johnny Reid or not... and most people probably wouldn't have even spotted him. The important part is that everybody has a different opportunity they are looking for in life. Just like one mans trash is another mans treasure, one persons Johnny Reid is just another dude at the airport, and thats okay.

-Even if it's not your dream moment, enjoy the moment for what it is worth. I'm sure our friend from Rankin wasn't waiting for his whole life to get this picture, but since he did, it's pretty cool. I know this feeling personally... I was involved in some work which required actresses and I saw one of the women I worked with on the television buying fishsticks.... it wasn't a defining moment of my life, but it was kind of cool to say "hey, I met her". Life is never going to be perfect, but you might as well make the most of the cards you are dealt.

-Life is all about people. You could go through all of the airports in the world twenty times over, but if there would no people there, they would be lifeless. Airports are the same as life... people are what make your life rich, not the money you have. In our world of fast paced social media and business deals it can be easy to forget this!

I'll leave you with this thought:

Connect with your fellow man. Do it often and with passion. It doesn't matter whether its a conversation with a stranger, a blog post, a telephone call, or a simple hello to a colleague when you come in to the office. If you do this, you'll be rich in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment