Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When Your New Shirt Doesn't Fit... Just Go Back To Bed (Attempt 2)

**Warning- This is a total nerd rage post. :)**

I should have known today was going to be a doozy… I woke up to try on my brand new shirt from Burlington Coat Factory (a steal at $9.98 I thought) only to find out I grabbed the wrong size… way to go Tyhurst.

I brushed it off, as it was only 10 bucks, plus I was able to get some sweet deals on some sandals, a belt, and a shower bag that are working for me just perfectly! I then headed off to work and my training session first thing in the morning everything was running smoothly. The guy giving the training, a sales guy turned IT department kind of fellow, commented on how unusual it was to have no technical difficulties at all for a training session such as this.

So, picture this… it’s 8am, your shirt didn’t fit, and your meeting is about to start without IT difficulties… trust me, this had bad omen written all over it.

I continued on through my day messaging my gf via text message and updating my twitter. Of course, I wasn’t getting many responses today because my gf had a big exam, so I knew she was focused on that. Most of the day at work went off without a hitch… another indication of awful things to come!! :p

Eventually I get back to the hotel after a quick break for lunch and then I realize that the internet isn’t working NOR are my texts/tweets going out from my cell. Not a big deal, I’ll do some work offline and then hopefully the net will come back up. Did that till about 8pm… still no dice.

This is when the story started going downhill. I hadn’t heard from my gf and I wasn’t able to check Facebook so I figured I’d shell out the $3 for the international call on my cell phone to give her a call and check in. Sure enough, she was still alive, but as I was on the cell phone clock, we didn’t get a chance to talk long.

So, I head out to dinner to try this Brazillian steak place (www.boinabraza.com). I had been by this place on several occasions on my previous trips to Cincinnati, but I had never went in to try it. I finally decided to take the plunge, but to be honest, I wasn’t ready for the bill I was about to get. I got the special, which was absolutely delicious, I had some lamb, some filet mignon, some breaded parmesan pork loins, as well as a large salad with mashed potatoes. The food and service was great, but so was the bill… let’s just say this one will have come out of the Tyhurst personal budget and not the travel budget… and I’m not going back for a while. lol

So dinner was bittersweet, but it continued to get worse as I came back to the hotel… I asked the front desk about the internet situation… no change.

They gave me a code to use in the “business center” aka The Closet with 5 computers attached to credit card readers that doesn’t have any climate control. I fumbled with the code for about 5 minutes, but it was clear that the number of digits on the tag I was given did not match the number of digits I had to enter to get internet access! The gentleman beside me was equally confused so I decided to ask the front desk for help. Of course they gave us the wrong codes so once they sorted that out we were good to go. I only had 15 minutes of time (how ghetto) so I quickly checked my facebook and decided I’d use the rest of the time to write a blog post about how I can’t live without the internet and my smartphone (This was attempt 1). Wouldn’t it be my luck that as soon as I go to publish it (3 minutes still remaining on the clock), the internet on those computers conked out and I lost my post. At that point I said “screw this” and stomped upstairs irritated as hell.

Luckily for me, I have an amazing gf who always knows how to take my mind of things. We spent an hour debating the merits of statistics courses at the masters level (trust me, this was not the best choice of debates), but it served the purpose nonetheless. Then, when I realized my mistake of focusing on the stats thing too much, we had a good discussion on social policy relating to the homeless. Again, probably not the greatest topic, but I don’t think either of us thought about stats during this time. :D

I began writing Attempt 2 of this blog post in a word document, but as it stands it’s 11:47pm, my internet is back on, and I have to get up at 4:30am in order to catch my plane.

SO, the only thing left to do is publish this bad boy, go to sleep, and hope that the shirt I put on tomorrow fits, because if it doesn’t, I’m just going to go back to bed.

1 comment:

  1. So I talked to my boss about the Dinner... turns out I'm just a cheap ass Canadian and the bill wasn't as bad as I thought... my words, not his. :)

    Net: Not coming out of the Tyhurst personal budget!

    ReplyDelete