Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Improving Your Local Community

Think Globally, Act Locally- It's quite the cliche at this point... but I guess that cliche's exist because a lot of people are on board with the idea.

I truly believe that people are what make the difference , both online and off. This is one of the reasons I love social media so much; it's not about the information that you are discussing per se, its the people behind that information and the debate that their opinions spark that interests me.

This may seem a bit Utopian, but I truly believe that participating in Web 2.0 will make the world a better place. This isn't a new concept for me, more of an extension of my offline life. Before the "new web" even existed I was participating in Beavers, Wolf Cubs, and 4-H. All of these organizations have a goal of inspiring youth to make the world a better place in their own special way.

The reason I am writing about this today is that I am participating (for a 3rd time) in the Junior Achievement program "Economics For Success". It's a program that helps Gr. 8 students understand what living on their own is like, and how investing in their education can help them achieve their individual goals, whatever they may be.

I participate through my company along with other employees, but JA is open to anyone who is interested in offering their time to school age children. In JA, I've learned 3 things specifically:

-Gr. 8 kids are a hell of a lot smarter than you think. I don't know if I just forget what it was like at that time in my life, or if our kids are just leapfrogging us in intellect, but I am always hopeful for the future when I hear the thoughtful responses from the future leaders of society.

-Teachers don't get enough credit. I work long, hard days in a knowledge based industry dealing with some of the smartest folks in the world. However, after a day of intense interactive learning with a group of Gr. 8's, I am whooped. It's humbling to play the role of a teacher and think about the importance of their job to our future.

-Learning is supposed to be fun. I think as adults sometimes we look upon learning as "getting in the way" of the things we need to do. Kids have the uncanny ability to make even the most mundane task fun, to the disdain of their teachers of course!

Here's my shameless plug for JA... The video isn't the flashiest thing around, but remember, this is a not for profit run mostly by volunteers. :)


Anyone can work hard, get a sweet job, and make some good coin... but are YOU doing enough to give back to your local community?

No comments:

Post a Comment