Saturday, May 22, 2010

You Can Skip Everything Online, Except LinkedIn


 I am the youngest person at my job. This often defaults me to being the "expert" on computers, the internet, and all things geek. Personally, I love taking this role because it affords me the opportunity to show people who I respect in the workplace all of the great tools that are available to them to boost their competitive edge.

I believe that LinkedIn is one of these core tools. I've said it before, and I will say it again, as an individual, you can  afford to skip Twitter, skip Facebook, and skip a bunch of the other social networks (I don't recommend it, but not everyone wants to live their life in front of a screen as much as I do). However, if professionals do nothing else online, they should be on LinkedIn. Period.

I've put together a presentation on Slide Share that explains some of the benefits in general, but this post is really to tackle those professionals who have had a successful career, do not plan on moving companies anytime soon, and just can't figure out why a "job searching" website would be of any value to them. It's a completely valid question, as most how-to guides for LinkedIn focus on how to use it to find a job. The reality is, that it's a networking tool... a superb one.

Common Barriers:


1- I am not looking for a job, I don't see how this site can help me
 In today's competitive business world, you need every edge you can get. Even if you plan on staying in your job and company for many more years, having up to date, current information on companies, the job market, and potential candidates for your team helps you keep one step ahead in your professional game.

2- I am busy managing my work and my employees, I don't have time for this.
Even if you are not into the internet and building a personal brand online, it's very likely that your employees are. As a manager of other people, one of your core roles is to help build your employees skills and career through your guidance and expertise. If you participate in helping your employees build their brand, they are far more likely to be loyal to you, and your company. 15 minutes a week of reading about updates in your network and providing testimonials to your employees work publicly can do a world of help for employee motivation.

3- I have a strong network in the "real world", I really don't feel the need to put myself out in the world publicly
This is a fair barrier. Some people do not want to make their work and academic history available for all of the world to see. If that is the case, then LinkedIn probably isn't for you. However, if you have a Facebook profile, then this argument is bunk!

I'm sure I could talk in length about some of the other benefits such as LinkedIn answers and Recruiting, but I'll give you the meat!


How do I get Started?


1- Create a free profile at www.linkedin.com
2- Add http://ca.linkedin.com/in/coreytyhurst
3- Join your companies group. If it doesn't exist, make it!
4- Start networking (only add people to your network who you are willing to be associated with)

Keys To Success:


1- Spend 15 minutes each week browsing profiles and reading about companies in your industry. You'll be surprised at what you can learn
2- Keep your profile up to date
3- Join and participate in some select groups that are relevant to your career. The key here it to pick a couple relevant groups and participate in the conversation... or start one! You'll be surprised at how strangers will be willing to talk about common interest related to their area of expertise.

If you liked this post, please let me know. If you have other barriers or issues you'd like me to address, please let me know!!

**UPDATE- May 26**
Here's a really cool infographic on LinkedIn and some of its more fun stats from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment