Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The True Story Of Business Travel


I have to travel for work, and I love it, but it's like not because of the reasons you think. When I tell people that I had to go to Vancouver/Calgary this week everyone is like "ooh, you get to go to Vancouver and see the Olympics!".... WRONG!

When I say I'm travelling for business... thats what I'm doing. I'm not out seeing the sights or taking in the great nightlife of where I am... time just doesn't allow. Let's use my last trip to Montreal as an example: Flight was at 7:30am... got in at 8:45, presentation from 9 until 1pm, store checks until 5pm, and then my flight back at 6:45pm. Where was I supposed to enjoy the hustle and bustle of Montreal!? I'm really not complaining, I'm just trying to impress upon people that travelling for work is not some glorious vacation! I cringe when I think of the jet lag I'm going to have on Friday when I return.

So, now that is cleared up... I have to admit that flying to Van/Calgary is a little ironic given how I blog about how technology can change the world and alter the face of business! I'm sure I could easily do these meetings as a web conference and save a bunch of money, but you also have to consider the audience, and definitely avoid underestimating the value of a face to face meeting (or a phone call for that matter). Sometimes the old fashioned way is the most effectively solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment